There are celebrities and then there are car celebrities. And we’re not talking about race car drivers, either. We’re talking about the actors, sports stars, and musicians who just so happen to have million-dollar garages. And while all are familiar with Jerry Seinfeld’s ridiculous Porsche collection and Gordon Ramsay’s love for Ferraris, celebs have surprisingly diverse tastes when it comes to their whips. Toss in Dax Shepard’s woodchuck station wagon and Tim Allen’s old-school Impala, and you’ll see that it’s not all about the horsepower — at least not at first glance.
Click here to subscribe to our print edition!
From the fastest race cars to vintage steam-powered autos from the early 1990s, the following celebrities have built impressive collections that transform their garages into bonafide museums. We don’t even want to know about the cost of car maintenance and restoration that goes into these fleets!
- Jerry Seinfeld – The host of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee has a German car collection that’s the stuff of auto lore. Jerry’s impressive convoy — populated mostly by Porsches — has an estimated value of between $50 and $150 million. In fact, Seinfeld is said to have one of the world’s largest Porsche collections, with over 80 of them. So what, exactly, is in the garage? Air-cooled Porsches are undoubtedly a fixture, including an array of really cool and rare 911s, but Seinfeld also rocks a couple of impressive modern styles, too, such as the 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder.
- Jay Leno – You simply can’t talk about celeb gearheads without talking about Jay Leno. The late-night legend and host of Jay Leno’s Garage has an extensive collection of unique autos, including a single one—a 1994 McLaren F1—with an estimated value of over $12 million. In fact, the comic owns nearly 300 vehicles, many of which have been featured on Jay Leno’s Garage. Leno has a particular affinity for early autos, with some of his most impressive rides being the three antique electric cars and two Doble steam cars, one of which was previously owned by Howard Hughes. With such a huge collection, we sure hope Leno has a mechanic on staff and a car cover collection to match!
- Dax Shepard – Parenthood star Dax Shepard proves that it ain’t all about the Porsches and the Ferraris, folks. Hailing from the suburbs of Detroit, it’s no surprise that Shepard has an affinity for American cars, but his collection may surprise you. It’s packed with tricked-out daily drivers and utility vehicles, including a 1994 Buick Roadmaster with woodgrain trim (yep, a woodchuck) and a modded-out 1967 Lincoln Continental. To speed things up, the actor’s daily driver is a Ducati Multistrada motorcycle.
- Tim Allen – Like Shepard, Home Improvement star Tim Allen has a special love for American autos, in part because of his Michigan roots. Allen’s fleet is populated by an array of Chevys and Fords, including a 1996 Chevy Impala SS LT5, a 1965 Shelby Cobra, a 1946 Ford convertible, and a super-rare 1986 Ford RS200. Allen also has a soft spot for vintage Volkswagens and owns a fully-loaded Herbie-inspired Beetle with a V8 motor, as well as a 71 Karmann Ghia.
- Ralph Lauren – Worth an estimated $300 million, fashion designer Ralph Lauren certainly has one of the most highly valued fleets on this list. Although his apparel collections are synonymous with all-American style, his taste in autos leans a bit more international. In fact, most of his coolest rides are Italian or British sports cars, with a few German rides peppered in. The finest models in his garage include an ultra-rare 1930 Mercedes SSK, a 1960 Ferrari 260 Berlinetta Scaglietti, a 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB NART Spyder, a 1957 Jaguar XKSS, a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, and a 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Spyder.
- Gordon Ramsay – It may not surprise you to learn that the foul-mouth British celebrity chef has a sportscar collection that’ll make you drool. He’s got an especially impressive collection of Ferraris, which includes noteworthy vehicles like the 812 Superfast, Monza SP2, F12 Berlinetta, 458 Italia, and LaFerrari Aperta. Other makes are welcome in Ramsay’s garage, with one requirement: They must be fast. In addition to iconic Italian speedsters, Ramsay is also known to cruise around town in an Aston Martin DB7 and a McLaren Senna.
- Gabriel Iglesias – Who says super-fast, high-performance autos are the only cars worth collecting? Comedian Gabriel Iglesias has an incredible collection of vintage Volkswagen Buses worth $3 million. His exceptional Long Beach garage features some of the finest examples of Volkswagen Type 2 buses, including rare variants on the Westfalia camper bus and Type 2 pickup trucks. His collection also includes a few rare Beetles.
- Adam Corolla – With a car collection that’s reportedly worth over $3 million, comedian and podcaster Adam Corolla has a serious affinity for speed-pushing race cars. And that doesn’t come as a huge shock, since the comic is an amateur race car driver himself and even won the Toyota Pro/Celebrity race in Long Beach in 2013. In his garage, you’ll find a title-winning 1988 Nissan 300ZX—of which there are only two in the world—that was raced by Paul Newman. There are also a 1969 Lamborghini Miura S worth almost $800,000, a 2005 Aston Martin DB9 in signature green, and a host of vintage Datsuns.
Who says cars are a waste of money? As these celebrity collections prove, unique, rare, and perfectly maintained autos carry a whole lot of value, both historically and financially. And they’re not too bad to look at, either!